Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Propose a Marketing Plan for the Future

Pressure Cooker will need to worry about future marketing because it has been picked up for theatrical distribution. This film came with a few problems when it came down to marketing. It doesn’t really have a set target demographic. Pressure Cooker is a culinary documentary, and the majority of the public is not interested in seeing a film about kids cooking. Therefore the filmmakers will have to market the students and the teacher in the trailer and poster. The cast all have entertaining quirks and stories that far succeed the food side of the documentary.

If I was in a position to fund this film and I wanted to make a lot of money, I would ensure that the film constantly got into the mind of not only the students that participated in the culinary challenge, but also get some perspective from the other schools as well. The film takes place in Frankford High School, but the viewer gets the feeling that the school and the culinary teacher are not well loved by the other local high schools. It’d be interesting and vital to get reaction from others familiar with the situation.

If I wanted the film to win festival awards and critical fame, I would try to advertise the film based on the distractions and pressure these kids face when it comes to their high school lives. They are all trying to win a culinary scholarship, while at the same time juggling their school sports, grades, personal lives, and family problems. The film got wonderful reviews, so I would try to get as many film critics as I could to see it to get the buzz out that Pressure Cooker is award-worthy.

The film does have theatrical distribution, and finally a trailer has surfaced. This trailer needs to be played constantly in front of other like-minded documentaries. The preview does a good job of showing tension and excitement, so this trailer needs to be seen by the public. It could convince them to see a film they wouldn’t normally be interested in seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment